The mission of the Pacific Crest Trail Association is to protect, preserve and promote the Pacific Crest National Scenic Trail as a world-class experience for hikers and equestrians, and for all the values provided by wild and scenic lands.
PCTA has a vision for the future of the Pacific Crest Trail and a vision for the future of our organization.
Our vision includes:
- The entire PCT corridor is permanently protected, well maintained and effectively managed. The trail is world renowned for offering a rare opportunity to travel through exceptionally scenic, remote, primitive landscapes.
- The PCTA, widely recognized as the trail’s champion and steward, achieves its work through the strength of its partnerships, staff, volunteers, and the rest of the PCT community.
Values of the PCTA
Although there are many important principles that guide our work, we emphasize the following values as core to our efforts:
- The Passion and Leadership of People – The great work of the trail is a result of past visionaries who took a dream and made it happen. Passion for the trail experience continues to spread, inspiring the remarkable contributions from our volunteer leaders, professional staff, partners, and the rest of the PCT community.
- Collaboration – We work in positive and cooperative partnerships to make the most of resources available to the organization. We are committed to mutual trust and respect with our partners, and we strive to resolve differences when they may emerge with respect and civility.
- Integrity – We understand that our success and reputation depends on our integrity as an organization, and therefore will endeavor to use consistent, reliable decision-making to guide our efforts. We apply common sense and good judgment to our work, and recognize our essential responsibility to use contributions and resources to best support the needs of the trail.
- Stewardship and Philanthropy – We have a responsibility to steward the resources of the trail and the organization for the benefit of all, including future generations. The PCT belongs to all citizens. Through volunteerism and philanthropy, individuals can invest in the programs that keep the trail wild and accessible for hikers and equestrians. We recognize that we could not achieve our mission without the generosity, commitment and philanthropic support of our volunteers, members and donors who share these values.