Based on a tree report for this section my wife and I took our horses to a point about 5 miles from the Silverwood trail head. We removed several trees that were across the trail but this is a steep section and there are many dead oaks on the slope. It is advisable for equestrians to carry a saw with them if possible due to these trees that will eventually slip across the trail. Also, the tread is somewhat fragile in this area so equestrians should stay to the up hill side and avoid riding near the edge.
Location: Van Dusen Rd/ PCT East Bound
My horse and I broke one wooden slat on the on ground bridge May 24, 2015. Coming back we avoided crossing via another route. I live in the area and would be happy to repair it. It needs to be repaired quickly as it is heavily travelled. I am going to notify our local Big Bear Forestry on Tuesday, May 26, 2015. An entire replacement bridge would be advised as it is rotted. We all had a great ride.
Many hikers are still under the impression that Poodle Dog Bush is an issue in the Station Fire burn area. We found many are still doing or planning to do a road walk. 2 hikers still had info that the trail was closed from Pacifico down to Mill Creek Station. We (Trail Gorillas) have been working continuously to open the trail of PD Bush and trees and at this time it is clear and no PD bush that you can’t step around. It’s a shame we can’t get the hikers back on the trail where they long to be.
May 28, 2015:
Check out our blog post about the repair: The glory of Golden Oaks Spring.
May 15, 2015:
I think we have a reasonable flow for the hikers. The two sources of water (spring box and stream directly into the trough) come from different spots on the hillside so they are somewhat independent of each other.
On Friday, May 15, 2015 12:15 PM, John Shelton wrote:
Jerry, Pete –
Observations/measurements around 3PM on 5/14/15.
The trough had 4 ½” of clear water. Flow from the slope into mid-trough was still good. Hikers had built a causeway of large stones to get directly across to it without getting feet wet and left an open 1 gallon container beneath the drip for a minor reservoir for the next hiker – looked good.
Soil at the outside trough corners indicated leakage like what I saw last time – probably through the trough near the left corner; maybe around the trough at the right corner. From last patching, looks like we were able to get about 2 more inches of trough water depth than before when it was about 2 ½”. No apparent cause for the leakage, but they can be difficult to track down sometimes. However, looked to me like enough depth for stock and the bear to be able to drink from easily. Also, some hikers said that they filled directly from the trough, since it was clear and was faster.
No flow from the PVC into the trough at the right corner. The syphon through the ¼” ID tubing had apparently outpaced the spring box replenishment and run dry; probably with about 4” of water in the spring box.
The water had returned to 19” deep at the spring box – it was ¼” lower than the outlet and likely stabilized at that level.
See table below for measured flows. By inserting the smaller ¼” OD (0.156” ID) tubing into the ¼” ID tubing, the flow reduced from 19.6 GPM to 17.3 GPM with an estimated head of 27”. Raising the tubing 6” at the PVC access coupling to reduce the head to 21” lowered the flow to 15 GPM. Feeling that 15 GPM might also break the syphon, I removed a barb from a dead end of fencing and inserted it through the smaller tubing to further slow the flow. Doing so outputted 11.7 GPM at the trough. I left it at that.
Since head pressure is another major factor in flow, if the SB level does draw down (by output outpacing replenishment) the reduced head combined with the barb restriction in the tubing might just balance and produce a steady flow.
May 8, 2015: We made a return trip to the spring yesterday to complete needed repairs. John Shelton and myself hauled in equipment and supplies. We drained the concrete water trough and patched known cracks that leaked. It would only hold 4 inches of water before. We created a syphon for the spring box to drain to the trough. I’m not sure how successful this will be. John stayed over night last night and will adjust the flow today so that the level will stay the same in the spring box. Yesterday when we finished it was slowly going down. The existing flow that drains directly into the water trough continues from our last trip at a rate of about 1 Gal. every 15 minutes. What ever we end up with now is all we will get until Mother Nature gives us rain. We hiked a 2 mile section of the trail north of the spring to clear a know reported tree down on the trail and removed it.
April 30, 2015: I just returned Monday from Golden Oak Spring with my PCTA volunteer crew. The weekend went well as far as accomplishing what we planned. We brushed the whole hillside to see where we could grab any water flow. We dug 2 channels towards the spring box. I got in and cleaned out the box and brushed the sides to open any blocked wholes. We had some flow going into the box and thought if we drilled a few wholes we would get more. Bad idea!!! The water went in the box and as best I can figure went out the holes we drilled because the water never reached the height of the exit pipe. We also cleared a channel that drains directly into the watering trough. All these channels are lined and filled with rock. We replaced all the plumbing and modified the fence line to hopefully protect it from future damage.We tightened the complete fence line around the spring and repaired a corner H brace. The watering trough is cracked in one corner and leaks out as much as flows in. There is only about 4 inches of water in it.
We had extra time Sunday afternoon so we surveyed the trail in the burn area north of GOS. A total of about 3 miles. Found around 15 trees down on the trail. So Mon. morning set out and cleared these trees. I know there are more trees down north of the Green gate which is 6 miles north of GOS.
My plan is to return maybe next week and patch the trough and install a syphon which should create a small stream from 1/4 inch irrigation poly pipe out of the spring box through the plumbing to the trough. It should be a little clearer than the ground water seeping into the trough.
So in short it is a little bit better with potential for a little more. But it will still be taxed when the large volume of hikers go through in the next 3 to 4 weeks. Thanks to all my hard workers and Bill Carter’s fence expertise.
11:10 am on 5/6/15:
A wildfire is burning near mile 240 in the Fish Creek drainage. It appears to be 0.7 miles off the PCT. Check inciweb for the latest updates and use extreme caution.
On May 2nd from 8am-8pm there will be a rally car event being held in proximity of the PCT in the Piute Mountains. The cars will be utilizing county roads in the area and will only impact hikers at road crossings (like regular traffic). This vehicular traffic will be driving at higher speeds than normal traffic and will be staggered at 1 minute intervals.
Learn more: http://highdeserttrails.com/
Impacted road crossings include:
Mile 602 at Jawbone Canyon Rd.
Mile 608 at Piute Mountain Rd.
Mile 611 at Piute Mountain Rd. at the Harris Grade
Mile 616 at Kelso Valley Rd.
There will be race officials with radios at each crossing to help guide hikers across safely.
There are two downed trees at mile 188.0 where the trail is very steep on both sides. Hikers may need to take off their packs and crouch/crawl to pass.
trails has many downed trees and brush over grown on the trail.Motorcyclist have also been using the trail and have damaged parts of the trail. Little Bear Springs has water but you have to look for it.
- Equestrian issue
- Extreme hazard
- Snow conditions
- Trail Closure
- Trail maintenance issue
- Water conditions
- Central California
- Northern California
- Southern California