The magazine of the PCTA, the Pacific Crest Trail Communicator is a 30-page, full-color publication. The Communicator contains news, features, volunteer opportunities, columns about trail lore, and more. It is published four times a year and is mailed free of charge to PCTA members. A fifth ‘issue’, the cherished PCTA calendar is mailed in October.
Copies of the Communicator may be purchased directly from our office ($3/members, $6/non-members). Please call (916) 285-1846.
If you have questions about receiving your Communicator magazine, please contact Lanz Nalagan at firstname.lastname@example.org. He’s happy to sort out address changes and the like.
Call for submissions
Our members are encouraged to submit PCT-related letters, news, features, and photos to be considered for publication. Email Managing Editor Mark Larabee at email@example.com or call him at 503-880-5987 with your ideas.
We love making the magazine and we hope that you like it. We occasionally post a selection of articles from the magazine for you to read online. Here they are. Enjoy!
- Lost, stranded, injured and sick on the PCT; Summer 2014
- The Pacific Crest Trail: America’s Wilderness Trail; Spring 2014
- Unintended impacts: Leaving less in the wilderness; Spring 2014
- The Third Bestseller; Winter 2013
- History in the Making; Marcus Moschetto; Fall 2013
- More than 46,000 miles on horseback… and counting; Summer 2013
- How difficult can signs be?; Summer 2013
- FOUND: 1938 YMCA Relay Boy Marcus Moschetto; Spring 2013
- Tween Years; Winter 2012
- The checkerboard gains another square; Winter 2012
- Boots and Saddles; Fall 2012
- Timber thinning on Plumas National Forest; Fall 2012
- Forester Pass story; February 2012
- Art, Inspiration and the PCT; February 2012
- Hervey Chapman’s gift to the Trail; February 2012
- Dealing with fire on the PCT; December 2011
- The Big Snow is one to remember; September 2011
- The Search for the PCT Relay Boys; September 2011
- On the Trail with pioneer thru-hiker Teddi Boston; June 2011
- No, it’s Montgomery; March 2011
- Trevor Thomas overcame blindness to become a long-distance hiker with a mission; March 2011
- Discovering dad: A dusty trail leads to Clinton Clarke’s handmade journal; December 2010
- Gathering of the Tribe; August/September 2010
- Mysteries of the Volunteer Work Party revealed; April/May 2010
- It’s Never Too Late for That First Long-Distance Hike; April/May 2010
- A Herculean Task; February 2010
- The making of the first PCT guidebook; February 2010
- The 1959 PCT Thru-ride of Don and June Mulford; December 2009
- Ryback Returns; September 2009
- PCTA Regional Represenative Brings Trail-Know How to Siberia; December 2008
- Development of the National Trails System Act; August 2008
- Can We Win on the Checkerboard?; April/May 2007
- Interview with Scott Williamson: Two yo-yos are better than one; February 2007
- A Mega-Transect of California Along the PCT; February 2007
- A scientific Look at the Thru-hiker; February 2007