Permits for travel along the Pacific Crest Trail are required in some but not all areas of the trail.


Shorter distance permits (less than 500 miles)

Some places on the Pacific Crest Trail require camping permits. Generally, an overnight permit is required in National Forest Wilderness Areas, National Parks and California State Parks. Many places on the Pacific Crest Trail do not require a permit. This is the case on non-Wilderness National Forest land and land administered by the Bureau of Land Management.

Always check the local agency’s website for their specific requirements. You should also know about – the portal for reserving space on much of our nation’s public lands.

In California, overnight permits are generally obtained from the agency that manages the trailhead that you’re starting at. Or, if that agency doesn’t require a permit – obtain it from the first agency that requires one on your itinerary. This permit will cover you for your entire trip, even if you cross management boundaries. Be sure to ask the local agency. Some trailheads have quotas – limits on the number of people per day – but many do not. High Sierra hikers can find further information on our John Muir Trail permit page.

In addition to an overnight permit, Desolation Wilderness requires permits for day trips. It is free, non-quota and self-issued at the trailhead.

In Oregon and Washington, you’ll generally obtain free, self-issue, non-quota overnight permits while already on the trail. As you pass by trailhead kiosks, look around. There may be a box with a permit to fill out. You’ll usually find permit boxes at National Forest Wilderness boundaries. In Oregon and Washington, fill out a permit every time you cross an agency boundary. The National Parks in these states are slightly different: both Crater Lake and North Cascades National Parks require permits that are issued at their visitor centers (PCT thru-travelers can pass through Crater Lake after signing the boundary trail register).

PCT Long-distance Permits

If you plan on hiking or horseback riding 500 or more continuous miles in a single trip, the Pacific Crest Trail Association can issue you an interagency PCT Long-distance Permit. It is free. Each person must get their own permit.

The PCTA issues permits with the authorization of state and federal land management agencies to simplify your planning and improve service and trail information.

Long-distance permits are for overnight use on the PCT corridor. Users wishing to travel off the PCT corridor must obtain separate permits as necessary. You may travel off the PCT to nearby trailheads within 15 trail miles of the PCT for reasons of resupply and reaching or departing the trail. This travel must be done on the most direct trail between the PCT and the trailhead. Long-distance permits do not allow for camping off the PCT corridor, even while traveling to and from trailheads.

Long-distance travelers visit places that require extra permits and fees. Campgrounds, park entrances and other special use fees are not covered by this permit. Please pay the collecting agency directly. Travelers holding long-distance permits must be flexible if the campsite they are occupying is already reserved by another group.

Opening dates for the 2018 PCT long-distance permit

We will start accepting permits applications on the following dates. There is no way to pre-apply. The permit application will first appear online on November 1 at 10:30 a.m. PT.

Starting at or near the Mexican border (both thru-hikers and section hikers)

These permits are limited to 50 people per day. We will release these permits in two phases, so if you miss getting a permit in the first phase, you’ll have the opportunity to try again.

  1. On November 1 at 10:30 a.m. PT, 35 permits per day will become available.
  2. On January 17 at 10:30 a.m. PT, the remaining 15 permits per day will become available.

Starting elsewhere (Southbound thru-hikers and other section hike itineraries)

We’ll start accepting permit applications on January 17 at 10:30 a.m. PT.

The following applies to the 2017 permit process. It will be updated soon for 2018.

How to apply for a long-distance permit

  1. Read everything on this page. It outlines additional permits and important information that you’ll need.
  2. Research your start day and location. You need to commit to your selected date and location before you apply for a permit. Changing either of these can negatively affect other people’s experience on the PCT. You will also need to fill out your name and contact information.
  3. Do not fill out the application more than once. Doing so may result in the cancellation of your request. Fill out the PCT Long-distance permit application here.
    1. You’ll get an email confirming receipt of your application right away.
    2. We’ll review your application. If it has errors, it may be cancelled or delayed; so, double check your information before you apply.
    3. We’ll start approving and issuing permits on Feb. 15. We’ll prioritize applications for people starting early in the year. We work as quickly as we possibly can to issue permits. Please don’t ask for a status check unless weeks have gone by and you suspect something is amiss.
  4. After you have applied: Once your permit application is processed, your permit will be emailed to you. You must print it out. It is required that you carry a physical, paper permit with you on the trail. Digital versions are not allowed.
    • You’ll get an email confirming receipt of your application right away.
    • We’ll prioritize applications for people starting early in the year. We work as quickly as possible. Please don’t ask for a status check unless weeks have gone by and you suspect something is amiss.

Southbound travel from Canada: Because of U.S. Customs and Border Protection regulations, no permits will be issued originating in Manning Provincial Park, BC, Canada. People wishing to start at the northern terminus will be issued a permit for the US/Canada border and should reach it from a southern trailhead, typically Harts Pass. Travel north to the international border and then back south to your destination. Please read our page on entering the U.S. from Canada via the PCT.

Areas of special concern where additional permits may be needed for camping: The Obsidian Limited Entry Area, Pamelia Limited Entry Area and North Cascades National Park require extra permits. Hikers and equestrians are also requested to obtain self-issued trailhead wilderness permits to assist land management agencies with monitoring visitor use and impacts. Please also read about the importance of not camping on the rim of Crater Lake.

Group size: Long-distance Permits are valid only for the individual whose name appears on the permit. In other words, one person per permit.

Minimum age: Will you be under 18 at the start of your trip? You’ll need to include a written and signed letter of consent from a parent or legal guardian. The letter must state the dates and location of your proposed trip. You must carry this letter at all times while you’re on the PCT. Permit applications for unaccompanied minors under 16 years old will be reviewed by the U.S. Forest Service.

Animals: National parks, state parks and wilderness areas have varied restrictions on pets, llamas and pack goats. These animals are not authorized through this long-distance permit. Additionally, there may be grazing and feed restrictions for stock.

* Sorry, but we do not expedite permits. Please plan ahead and prepare.

Mount Whitney

In 2017, PCT long-distance permit holders will be allowed to day hike from the PCT to the summit of Mount Whitney and back to the PCT. There is no fee, nor any additional permits needed.  Long-distance permit holders should camp west of the Crabtree Ranger Station.  Do not camp between Crabtree Ranger Station and the summit of Mount Whitney. Stock is not permitted beyond the base of the switchbacks on Mount Whitney.

Also, you can get a special add-on to your long-distance permit that will allow you to descend the mountain eastbound to Whitney Portal (and Lone Pine.) This access along the Whitney Trail crosses the Inyo National Forest. This special add-on (attached to your long-distance permit) is for people wanting to end their trip at Whitney Portal or those who wish to visit the area for resupply. It costs $21 and is non-refundable. This permit is not a separate piece of paper. The access that it grants will be printed directly on your Long-distance Permit.

No PCT long-distance permits will be issued for trips originating from Whitney Portal.

Canada Border Services Agency permit

Hikers and equestrians who plan on entering Canada via the PCT must obtain permission from the Canada Border Services Agency.  Carry a paper copy of your approved  “Application for Entry into Canada via the Pacific Crest Trail” form with you at all times while in Canada.

Apply for this permit at least 8-10 weeks before the start of your hike (and no further in advance than six months beforehand). Please fill out the application form completely. Print the application, sign, then scan and submit your application materials to the email address listed on the form – or mail it in. It is preferred that you type your application with the online fillable form. Otherwise, please print clearly in block letters. If you submit your application by email, your approved permit will be returned to you by email as well.

Read up on the various additional requirements you must follow when entering Canada and returning to the United States.  When you are ready, submit the Application for Entry into Canada permit.

Questions? Email the Canada Border Services Agency at [email protected] or call them at 1-866-496-3987,  Press “0”, then ask for the Pacific Crest Trail Coordinator.

Please note that there is currently no legal way to enter the U.S. from Canada (Manning Park) on the PCT.

California Campfire Permits

You must have a California Campfire Permit to use a stove, lantern, or campfire outside a developed campground or recreation area. The permit is your agreement to follow the campfire restrictions and regulations in effect. Campfires are not allowed and are not appropriate on much of the PCT. Please read our page on fire information for details.

The PCTA strongly urges all hikers using the California backcountry to obtain a California fire permit. They are free and valid for one calendar year. These permits should be acquired before the start of your hike or ride. Permits can be obtained at any California U.S. Forest Service, BLM, or California Division of Forestry office. Ranger Stations and Visitor’s Centers are convenient places to obtain them in person, or you may take a simple quiz and print one off the internet.

Commercial filming and photography

If you are creating photographs or videos with the purpose of generating income, you may need a special permit. Please visit the websites below for information. To obtain these permits, or find answers to your questions about special use permits, we recommend asking the agencies directly.

International visitors and U.S. visas

PCTA is not an official source for information about visas. We recommend reading and that you consult a visa adviser. Long-distance hikers and riders may find useful information on our page about B-2 visas.

Permit numbers and visitor use statistics

Are you interested in how many people hike and horseback ride the Pacific Crest Trail? How many thru-hikers there are? Please visit our PCT visitor use statistics page.

↑ Back to top
Photo by: Nathaniel Middleton