Entering Canada via the PCT

For the Canada entry permit application and more information, please visit our permit page.

Identification Documents

Persons entering Canada are required to carry proper identification. If you are a U.S. citizen you do not require a passport to enter Canada. However you do require evidence of your Citizenship such as a Birth Certificate, passport card, Enhanced Drivers license, or Nexus Card.

For re-entry into the United States of America, even US citizens require a Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative document such as a Passport.

If you are a temporary resident of the U.S. or a visitor from any other country, you will require a passport for entry into both Canada and the US. You should contact Canada Immigration to find out if you will require a visa.

Items in your possession

Persons entering Canada for health or pleasure reasons are permitted to bring with them personal possessions which they will require for their stay in Canada. Additional regulations and restrictions are as follows:

Live Plants. Fresh Fruit & Vegetables: These are not permitted entry to Canada without fumigation and prior approval by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (citrus fruit is OK).

Firewood: Any firewood that you ”pack in” must be completely debarked. scrap processed lumber would be safest (and probably lighter too).

Dogs & Cats: Dogs and cats three months or older require a rabies vaccination certificate for a vaccination done within the last three years. You must carry this with the animal. Dogs and cats must be kept on a leash at all times while in Manning Park.

Pack Animals (equine): (horses, mules, asses, donkeys, burros) Horses (etc.) coming into Canada must be accompanied by a USDA Export Health Certificate endorsed by a USDA veterinarian and issued within 30 days of entering Canada. A negative Coggins test within the past 6 months must be indicated on the certificate. The USDA veterinary service may be reached in Olympia, Washington at (206) 753-9430.

Upon arrival in Canada, the horses must be taken directly to Canada Customs at Huntingdon, B.C. (Sumas, Washington) or Osoyoos, B.C. (Orville, Washington) for document verification. Inspection by an Canadian Food Inspection Agency veterinarian will be required at this time if the horses are to remain in Canada for more than 30 days from the date the health certificate was issued. An appointment is necessary for this inspection and should be made at least one full week before your trip.

Pack Animals (non-equine): Procedures for clearance of animals other than those of the equine species vary somewhat. If you plan to bring non-equine animals please contact the Canadian Food Inspection Agency well in advance of your trip (4-6 weeks minimum) for information.

Weapons: Guns are prohibited in Manning Park and this is strictly enforced.

When choosing a camp knife avoid those with blades that open by spring, gravity, or centrifugal force (this includes “butterfly” type) as they are prohibited weapons in Canada.

Please do not pack martial arts type weapons into Canada as most of these are either restricted or prohibited by law.

↑ Back to top
Photo by: Nathaniel Middleton