Please read the Guidelines and Terms below before submitting a photo. Please submit one photo at a time using the form below. After you click submit, a notice will appear at the bottom of the form informing you of whether we received the photo submission. Your contact information will auto-fill after the first submission. This makes it easier to submit more than one picture. Thanks!
The Pacific Crest Trail is stunningly beautiful. Every year thousands of fantastic photos are taken of the trail. Many of the pictures we’ll publish in 2017 will be selected from those entered in the PCTA’s annual photo contest.
Do you have photographs that would look great on the cover of the PCT Communicator, in our annual calendar or in our trail protection materials? Volunteering your creative work lets you give back to the trail that you love.
Put your photos to good use and help the trail. Please enter our 2017 Photo Contest.
Prizes provided by our friends at LEKI
- First Place – $500 worth of LEKI gear
- Second Place – $300 worth of LEKI gear
- Third Place – $200 worth of LEKI gear
Winners will be announced in the spring/summer 2017. Winning pictures will be published on the PCTA website. Only residents of the United States are eligible to win prizes. Sorry, international shipping is cost-prohibitive. PCTA thanks LEKI USA for their generous support and for making this contest possible.
- Trail Majesty – A photo that captures the beauty of the PCT.
- Human Spirit – A photo along the PCT that shows hikers or riders and captures the essence of being there.
- Equestrian – Any photo along the PCT that shows horses/stock and/or their riders in their PCT environment.
- Trail Work – Photos of PCTA or other trail maintenance volunteers along the PCT.
- Flora and Fauna – Photos of plants and animals along the PCT.
- Digital images must be submitted online at www.pcta.org/photo-contest/
- Submission deadline is February 27, 2016.
- You must be a PCTA member to enter.
- Photos can be color or black & white digital images of any location along the Pacific Crest Trail
- JPEG or TIFF files are allowed but must be in a high resolution (at least 300 dots-per- inch or approximately 1000×1500 pixels for a 3×5 photo).
- If you ’d like your photos to be considered for our annual calendar or magazine covers, they should be at least 8.5×11 inches at 300 dpi or approx. 2500×3300 pixels in size.
- Each photo must include a working title, location and a detailed caption.
- Photos can be horizontal or vertical. Please upload in the proper orientation.
- You can enter up to 10 photos per category.
Questions? Contact: Daniel Carmin-Romack at [email protected]
Your photographs help the PCTA protect the Pacific Crest Trail, the surrounding landscape and the hiking and equestrian experience for future generations. Thank you for helping to further our mission through your photography.
No purchase is necessary to enter or win. Void where prohibited. By entering this contest, you agree to the terms and conditions relating to this contest and you are responsible for understanding your rights.
Photos entered are considered licensed to the Pacific Crest Trail Association in perpetuity. By entering the photo contest you are giving the PCTA the right to use your photos as we see fit to promote the trail and its protection.
You will retain copyright to any photograph you submit. You only grant the PCTA rights to your photograph royalty-free, in perpetuity, nonexclusively to:
- Reproduce, distribute, transform, display and/or to perform your photographs in all print and electronic mediums at any size.
- Use your photos worldwide.
- Provide your photograph to other individuals and organizations for non-commercial use, such as in news stories, newsletters, reports, slide shows, displays, web pages, and the like.
- Archive in electronic forms so that your photos can be used to support our mission.
- Use your photo for Commercial and Editorial uses that directly benefit the PCTA and the trail. Whenever possible, PCTA will consult with photographers about outside uses.
Whenever possible, PCTA will provide attribution in the form the photographer’s name and/or photographer’s website URL per PCTA’s discretion. Attribution will appear next to the photo or in the credits of the work product.
By entering, participants agree to indemnify, defend and hold harmless the PCTA, its respective subsidiaries, affiliates, directors, officers, employees, attorneys, agents and representatives, from any and all third party liability for any injuries, loss, claim, action, demand or damage of any kind arising from or in connection with the competition (collectively, “Losses”), including without limitation any third party claim for copyright infringement or a violation of an individual’s right to privacy and/or publicity right. The Contest is void where prohibited by law.
Contest entrants are responsible for ensuring that he or she has the right to submit the photos that he or she submits to the contest.